Best Small Shops Competition
The Best Small Shops Competition 2015
Twenty of Britain's Best Small Shops descended on Parliament on the 25th February 2015 to see who had been crowned the overall Best Small Shop in the UK.
Simon Danczuk MP, Chairman of the All Party Small Shops Group, revealing the winner, said: "I am pleased to announce that Hunters of Helmsley, a delicatessen in North Yorkshire, is the Winner of the Best Small Shop Competition 2015. Hunters of Helmsley was chosen by the judges for its local sourcing of produce, organisation of events to support their high street and their use of social media to engage customers."
Hunters of Helmsley was established in 1990, and has been owned since 2008 by Chris and Christine Garnett. They both come from Yorkshire farming families, and state they are passionate about how and where food is produced.
Simon Danczuk (Rochdale MP & Chair' APPSSG); Competition Winners,
Chris & Christine Garnett; Dan Hyde (The Telegraph &
Competition Judge); Alex Goddard (Retail Director PayPoint &
The Judges also gave highly recommended awards to NISA Local, Toddington, a convenience store, and The Main Street Trading Company, a bookshop and delicatessen in St. Boswells.
The Judging Panel said: "We were impressed and delighted by both the number and calibre of the submissions from retailers for the Award. We were all humbled by their energy, impressed by their commitment and in awe of the extent to which the best are embedded in their communities. There is no doubt that independent retail is in the hands of creative, innovative, business-savvy individuals who are committed to making their local high street a better place. We congratulate all the shortlisted businesses and thank all the retailers who took the time to showcase their shops."
The judging of the Best Small Shops Competition took place throughout February 2015 and was based on the shop's entrepreneurial activities, their work within the community and innovation in their business. The Best Small Shops Competition is sponsored by PayPoint and Tictail and administered by the Independent Retailers Confederation.
The shortlisted candidates for the Best Small Shops Competition are listed below.
- Belhaven Bikes, Dunbar, East Lothian
- Booka Bookshop, Oswestry, Shropshire
- Cocoa Amore, Leicester, Leicestershire
- Elite meat, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
- Heath Stores Horsmonden, Tonbridge, Kent
- Hunters of Helmsley, Helmsley, North Yorkshire
- Ilsington Village Shop, Ilsington, Devon
- Jet Wheel Tyre, Benfleet, Essex
- Kirkcowan Cycles, Newton Stewart, Dumfries & Galloway
- Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights, Bath, North East Somerset
- Nisa Local Toddington, Toddington, Bedfordshire
- Observatory The Opticians, Beccles, Suffolk
- Piccola Italia, Worthing, West Sussex
- SS20, Oxford, Oxfordshire
- The Bakers' Table, Talgarth, Powys
- The Book Nook, Hove, East Sussex
- The Mainstreet Trading Company, St Boswells, Roxburghshire
- The Music Exchange, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- Village Greens, Charlesworth, Derbyshire
- Wise Owl Toys, Worcester, Worcestershire
The Best Small Shops Competition is run by the All Party Parliamentary Small Shops Group and administered by the Independent Retailers Confederation. Thank you if you were one of the hundreds of small shops that entered the competition, reflecting the width of choice and service available via indie retailers throughout the UK.
Proudly sponsored by PayPoint and Tictail, The Best Small Shops Competition celebrates the economic powerhouse represented by small retailers in the UK economy.